At West Ashtead we are fortunate enough to have extensive grounds. We believe that children benefit from regular opportunities to learn outdoors and therefore all classes have planned sessions in the grounds.
We have specialist areas which are used in our outdoor curriculum learning:
- Garden area and allotments
- Sports Field
Each area can be used to provide learning opportunities in different curriculum subjects.
Activities that are regularly taught outside include:
- Art - drawing, painting, ephemeral, large group work, photography
- Drama - reenactments, retelling, story telling, freeze frames
- Science - identification, comparison, planting, pond, tree and plant surveys
- Mathematics - measuring, calculating, representing, shape
- Geography - map making, compass work, land and traffic surveys
- History - opportunities to explore different roles in history
- English - first hand experiences, vocabulary, composition, reading
- Religious Education - refection and celebration of the natural environment
- PSHE - games, mindfulness, discussion
- PE - team games, athletics, running, games
Our belief is that with the sky as a ceiling there are no limits to what you can achieve!